Tricks for Beginners
This is a 6-week course.
Prerequisite: Basic manners or understanding of using markers in training.
Want to turn your dog into a circus dog this summer? Does your clever dog just love to be the center of attention? This class will make Fido's dreams a reality. Dogs love learning new behaviors and what better way to provide enrichment and fun for both you and them?
In this class we will teach your dog tricks such as spin, shake, say your prayers, peekaboo, go to a pedestal, dead dog, rollover, crawl, sit pretty, take a bow, jump through a hoop and more! This is an excited, high-energy class that both you and your dog will enjoy. Teaching your dog tricks burns mental and physical energy and increases their confidence and attention to you! If you are interested in earning your Novice Trick Dog Title through Do More with Your Dog, we will also be working towards that in this class!
*Prior manners class completion is required and an understanding of marker training is helpful. For dogs 5 months and up. Not appropriate for dog-reactive dogs due to space limitations.
About the Trainer:
Laura is a certified guide dog trainer/instructor who has trained and placed working dogs throughout the country. She is also a Certified Trick Dog Instructor, having performed trick shows for fairs, kids camps, and birthday parties. She has competed in disc, herding, barn hunt and dabbled in everything from agility and obedience to shed hunt. She believes in positive training that gets results and brings out the best in your human/dog partnership!
- Intro to Clicker
- Luring, capturing, shaping
- Safety & choosing appropriate tricks for your dog's body types
- Nose Targeting (hand/object)
- Platform Training Intro and Shaping
- Name Game / Attention / Recall
- Paw Targeting (Hit an Easy Button, Turn on a Tap Light)
- Pedestal Training for Distance and Stay
- Paws Up - on chair or arm
- Shake/High Five/Wave
- Go to Mark
- Leg Weave
- Roll Over / Bang / Show my Your Belly
- Red Carpet
- Kick-Turn on Object
- Bang Capture Challenge
- Platform Jump
- Hoop Jump
- Sit Pretty / Stick em up
- Leave It / Balance a Bone
- Take a Bow
- Rebounds Foundations
- Say Your Prayers
- Platform Jump Through Hoop
- Jump Over a Bar
- Rebounds Part 2
- Head Down Capturing Challenge
- Review & Troubleshooting
- Show Us Your Skills!
- Testing for Novice Trick Dog Title if desired
- Graduation Party!
Please note: While we do our best to stick to this schedule, at times, there may be slight variations based on the needs of the class. I also want to note that in addition to each of these topics there is always bonus material in your packets which we aren't able to cover in the class but that are helpful overall to your long term success.
Accepted Record Formats:
We require you to provide a copy of your records to us. This can be a hard copy we may keep on file, or sent via email in a .pdf format.
- We accept records on veterinary letterhead.
- If records are coming from the breeder or rescue group, the stickers from the vaccination vials must be included.
- Handwritten records, or records not on vet letterhead and without stickers are not accepted and we do not make exceptions.
This is to protect our clients to the very best of our ability. While rare, these illnesses are life-threatening and our clients appreciate our diligence in minimizing these risks. Thank you for understanding!
The distemper and parvo vaccinations are part of a combo vaccination given in 3 rounds of boosters at 6-8 weeks, 10-12 weeks and 14-16 weeks to increase immunity. Puppies do not need to have completed the series at start, but must stay up to date and on schedule throughout participation. Rabies is administered between 10 weeks and 6 months depending on veterinarian preferences and existing vaccination schedule.